All puppies come with a two-year health guarantee
Our breeders strive to breed healthy puppies and that is why all puppies come with a two-year health guarantee. We strive to place puppies in great homes where they will be properly taken care of so we have outlined both the buyer and seller’s responsibilities in our health guarantee below.
________________ (“Seller”), in connection with that certain Dog Purchase and Sale Agreement (the “Purchase Agreement”) between Seller and ____________ (“Buyer”), is providing a health guarantee for the Dog being purchased by Buyer as set forth in these Terms and Conditions of Health Guarantee (this “Guarantee”).
Buyer acknowledges and understands that owning a dog involves frequent visits to a veterinarian and, except to the extent specifically covered in this Guarantee, Buyer will be responsible for all costs associated with such veterinarian visits.
Seller has taken reasonable steps to ensure that the Dog being purchased by Buyer is as healthy as possible, health issues do arise from time to time despite Seller’s best efforts. This guarantee describes Seller’s commitment to Buyer if a health issue arises with your Dog.
1.What does this Guarantee cover?
Before your Dog comes home, it will have undergone an extensive veterinary health check and obtained all vaccinations and undergone applicable deworming protocols. This guarantee covers health issues that may arise after the arrival of your Dog. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Agreement, Buyer shall first be required to exhaust all possible remedies through its pet insurance provider (described below) and only in the event the proceeds from such insurance policy are insufficient to cover Buyer’s actual costs and expenses incurred based on adverse health conditions shall Seller have any obligations under this Health Guarantee.
- Days 1-3:If, within 3 days of arrival, your Dog is found to have a contagious disease, illness, or parasite, you will provide written notice to Seller who will then have the right to select one of the following remedies:
- Require Buyer to return the Dog and receive a refund of the purchase price (less any portion paid to Puppy Central, LLC for its provision of services related to the brokering of the sale between Seller and Buyer through puppycentral.com) (the “Purchase Price”), including applicable sales tax, and reimbursement for shipping costs and reasonable veterinary costs, including any necessary emergency services and treatment to relieve suffering and those directly related to the veterinarian’s examination and certification that the Dog was unfit for purchase; OR
- Allow Buyer to return the Dog and receive an exchange dog of Buyer’s choice of the same breed and reasonably equivalent value from Seller and reimbursement for shipping costs and reasonable veterinary costs, including any necessary emergency services and treatment to relieve suffering and those directly related to the veterinarian’s examination and certification that the Dog was unfit for purchase; OR
- Allow Buyer to retain the Dog and receive reimbursement from Seller for reasonable veterinary costs, including any necessary emergency services, treatment to relieve suffering, treatment related to the attempt to cure or the curing of the Dog and those directly related to the veterinarian’s examination and certification that the Dog was unfit for purchase, up to the Purchase Price.
- 2 Years:If within two years from the date of arrival from Seller, your Dog is found and certified by two duly licensed veterinarians of your choosing to have a congenital or hereditary condition which adversely affects the health of the dog, and if Seller is notified within five business days of the first veterinarian’s determination, Seller may choose to either:
- Require Buyer to return the Dog and receive an exchange dog of Buyer’s choice of the same breed and reasonably equivalent value and reimbursement for shipping costs and reasonable veterinary costs, including any necessary emergency services and treatment to relieve suffering and those directly related to the veterinarians’ examination and certification that the Dog had a congenital or hereditary condition adversely affecting the health of the dog; OR
- Allow Buyer to retain the Dog and receive reimbursement from Seller for reasonable veterinary costs related to diagnosis of such adverse condition.
2. What is not covered?
The following are not covered by this Guarantee:
- Cost of regular veterinary care, food, medicine, supplements, training, grooming, cleaning, or other costs of raising and owning a dog.
- Injuries or accidents, including, but not limited to, ingestion of foreign matters, choking, falls, scrapes, bumps, bruises, bug bites, human inflicted injuries, run-aways, car related injuries, injuries, and illness or injury resulting from or related to veterinary procedures (e.g. spay or neuter procedures, tail docking, etc.).
- Behavior, personality, or temperament traits including, but not limited to potty training, chewing, digging, etc.
- Appearance, size, or other physical characteristics, breed standards, or aesthetic preferences.
- Hip dysplasia diagnosis in breeds that are known to be prone to hip dysplasia.
- Results of genetic testing.
- Contagious illnesses or parasites that are diagnosed more than 3 days after arrival.
- Any health claims diagnosed more than two years after arrival.
3. What are the buyer’s obligations?
BUYER MUST FULFILL THESE OBLIGATIONS, AS EXPLAINED HEREIN, OR THIS GUARANTEE WILL TERMINATE AND BECOME NULL AND VOID.
- New Dog Exam: Buyer must have the Dog examined by a licensed veterinarian within three (3) business days of arrival. A copy of the medical record from this examination must be sent to Seller within four (4) days of the arrival of your Dog.
- Pet Insurance. Buyer is required to maintain commercially reasonable (e.g. TrupanionTM or comparable) pet insurance for the Dog for at least two years.
- No Vaccines for 10 Days:The Dog will arrive up to date on vaccinations. To avoid over-vaccination, buyer should not vaccinate your Dog within the first ten (10) days arrival.
- Regular Veterinary Care:Buyer must visit a licensed veterinarian on a regular basis and ensure your Dog receives proper health checkups and timely inoculations.
- Appropriate exercise:All dogs need regular exercise and stimulation. Buyer should speak to their veterinarian about the appropriate amount of exercise for your particular Dog at each stage of its life.
- Healthy Diet: Buyer must follow a veterinarian recommended nutritional program, including feeding only premium dog foods and veterinarian approved supplements. Buyer should be careful not to under or over feed your Dog.
- No breeding:Your Dog is intended to be a companion dog. If the Dog is bred, this Guarantee shall terminate and become null and void. The Dog should be spayed or neutered at an age deemed appropriate by your veterinarian.
4. How to file a claim
If buyer has complied with the requirements in Section 3 of this Guarantee and the Dog experiences a health issue that buyer believe may be covered under this Guarantee, buyer should notify Seller immediately at the contact information provided in the Purchase Agreement. Include a copy of the health records associated with the Dog’s diagnosis and any other information buyer has about the health issue. After receiving the information buyer has provided, Seller will work with buyer to obtain any additional information needed to review your claim.
Once Seller has received all necessary documentation regarding the diagnosis and associated costs, including a necropsy if the Dog passes away, Seller will review your claim and determine whether and to what extent it is covered under this guarantee. Because of the detailed nature of the documentation needed to review these claims, this process can take several days to complete.
Seller reserves the right to, at any time during the claim review process, at Seller’s cost, obtain an additional opinion by a veterinarian of Seller’s choosing to review any diagnosis submitted in connection with a claim under this Guarantee.
5. Who can file a claim?
Only the original purchaser of the Dog can file a claim under this Guarantee. In other words, this Guarantee is not transferable to any new owner.